The Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C., was the site of a second one-day strike by low-wage workers at private businesses holding federal contracts Tuesday. The workers allege rampant wage theft, including minimum wage and overtime violations; last week Good Jobs Nation filed a complaint with the Labor Department naming eight employers at the Reagan Building as engaging in such violations.
Today’s action, including a mock trial, was seeking in part to pressure the General Services Administration:
On Tuesday morning Good Jobs Nation group personally delivered that complaint to the home of Dan Tangherlini, acting head of the GSA. The GSA, which owns the Reagan Building, took the complaints to the Department of Labor and the Trade Center Management Associates (TMCA), the private company which manages the building, saying it looks forward to the results of the investigation.“GSA has clear guidelines in our contracts to ensure that our contractors follow the law, and we take allegations of violations very seriously,” said GSA spokesperson Dan Cruz in a statement. “We have referred this matter to Department of Labor for further review and we have sent a letter to TCMA reiterating that it must follow federal and local laws in their own contracts with the food court tenants. We will look forward to reviewing the results of DOL’s investigation and will take appropriate actions where necessary.”
According to organizers, Tangherlini said he would meet with workers. When he does, he should remember that they’re among 2 million workers employed by federal contractors at poverty wages.
Laura Clawson reports on labor and other issues for Daily Kos, where this report first appeared.