Deadline to apply: May 17, 2013
This summer, the national movement to make change at Walmart will take a giant step forward. In the tradition of the 1964 Freedom Summer and the UFW’s grape boycott, a deeply committed group of labor, student and community supporters will spend the summer building local OUR Walmart and Making Change at Walmart (MCAW) support teams across the country that demonstrate the broad, growing movement calling on Walmart to change. The program will run from June 15th – Labor Day.
What we will accomplish:
- Reach 100,000 Walmart workers and add 200,000 activists to the MCAW network.
- Mobilize 30,000 activists to take part in Labor Day Actions at 2,000 stores.
- Identify and engage 5,000 supporters who commit to organize Black Friday events, to recruit others and to take monthly online and in-person actions.
- Train 200 highly committed volunteers who will return to their local union, college or community organizations with new skills and organize ongoing support for OUR Walmart and MCAW.
- Develop local support teams equipped to anchor Black Friday mobilizations and other labor/social justice campaigns.
Our Strategy: Developing Volunteer Support Teams
Program participants will coach and support the thousands of volunteers who want to support MCAW as the campaign continues to escalate. The teams will 1) Support existing members of OUR Walmart (and connect Walmart associates with others who are organizing with OUR Walmart), 2) Take action against proposed local Walmart growth and 3) Organize customer engagement at stores.
Walmart strikers, fired worker leaders, union members and retirees, students, community activists and others will join together for this historic summer. Participants will be plugged-in according to the experience they bring. Training will be provided in relational organizing, leadership development and direct action. Online meetings and social media will connect people across the country.
How You Can Participate
- Students, children of union members, community supporters and Walmart workers and former Walmart workers are invited to apply.
- Sponsor a member or assign a staff person from your local unions or community organization to participate.
- Support the program overall with a donation that will pay for a student or fired Walmart worker to participate. Individual and foundation donors are also encouraged.
Participants will return to their local unions, schools and organizations better equipped to lead actions and campaigns. The volunteer support teams developed during the program will be available to assist MCAW and Our Walmart, as well as other labor and social justice initiatives.
For more information or to register for the program, please email Isaiah Toney, Student Labor Action Project Coordinator at email@example.com. Please submit all applications by May 17th, 2013.
Legal Disclaimer: UFCW and OUR Walmart have the purpose of helping Walmart employees as individuals or groups in their dealings with Walmart over labor rights and standards and their efforts to have Walmart publically commit to adhering to labor rights and standards. UFCW and OUR Walmart have no intent to have Walmart recognize or bargain with UFCW or OUR Walmart as the representative of Walmart employees.